Jason Lindquist (jlindquist) wrote,
Jason Lindquist
jlindquist

Transcoding progress...

I've got about 8 hours of "24" transcoded to DiVx 4. It's been fairly smooth... occasionally tyStudio hiccups trying to close a group of frames, which means I have to move an edit point and start the extraction over again. mencoder does the DiVx translation very smoothly. I'm not even bothering with the Cocoa GUI for it, I just tossed the working command line into a shell script. Both processes are the CPU hogs I thought they'd be. The DiVx encoding eats 40% of CPU. Forget running two at once, they fight for disk. Single encodes might be significantly faster if I wrote the output to something other than the source disk, dunno if it'll need to be on the other IDE bus, but it's something to try on the next episode. The output's right about 300 MB. The symmetry here is beautiful--at 300 MB an hour, two hour-long DiVx episodes fit a single CD, while at 2 GB an hour, the same two episodes as MPEG-2 fit a single DVD.
Subscribe

  • Winner.

    Historically, I have a pretty low opinion of ringback tones, the feature most cellular carriers sell that plays music for your callers instead of the…

  • Aurora reference

    For reference, the only two links I could find on Aurora shooter (and Westview '06 grad) James Holmes, prior to his attendance at Westview being…

  • Your friend, FunnyJunk.com

    If you've never heard of funnyjunk.com, it's run by a content thief. It's a haven for incompetence, stupidity, and douchebaggery. Site owner…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments